What an amazing time we had at SUMMIT 2016 with Ps Samuel Rodriguez and Ps Benny Perez!
We are living in dark times. So we can either spend all our days whining about the darkness or we can turn on the light. In the midst of darkness, Jesus is saying to us:
“You are the light of the world.”
Matthew 5:14-16 You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.
Here are the three keys Ps Samuel gave us from Matthew 5:14-16:
- Know who you are
- Remove the basket
- Know where you stand
- Know Who You Are – We are called to be light. When light stands next to darkness, light always wins. When we know who we are, we can change the world.
- We are not defined by our past, our circumstances or what people say about us. We are defined by Jesus Christ.
- We are not defined by what surrounds us but by God’s Spirit inside of us.
- We are not defined by our failures but by His forgiveness.
- We are not defined by what we do for Him but what He’s already done for us.
Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.
How’s this for Ps Samuel’s amazing list of who we are?
- The light of the world
- A city on a hill
- People of the word
- Salt and light
- Prophetic and not pathetic
- Disciples witnesses and Christ followers
- Prophets evangelists pastors and teachers
- Children of the cross
- Fruit of the empty tomb
- Product of the upper room
- Redeemed of the Lord
- Sheep of his pasture
- Forgiven free and favoured
- Called and chosen
- Warriors and worshippers
- World changers and history makers
- The church of Jesus Christ and the gates of hell cannot prevail against us
- The bride
- Born again, blood washed, spirit empowered children of the living God.
- Remove the Basket – Matthew 5:14-15 …A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.15 Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket
Ps Samuel encouraged us that we need to remove the basket of apathy, complacency and fear and once again lay claim to the standard of righteousness that God has set.
Here are the five things he said we need to embrace in order to be light:
Today’s complacency is tomorrow’s captivity.
- You are what you tolerate.
- There is no such thing as comfortable Christianity.
- Truth must never be sacrificed on the altar of political expediency.
- Moral stagnation always leads to spiritual atrophy.
He said there’s a great light inside of us and there is a spiritual battle to turn it off. The enemy’s not attacking us because of the foolish things we did in our past. He’s attacking us because of the glorious things we’re about to see in our future.
Ps Samuel mentioned a number of spirits that are alive in the world today:
- The spirit of Pharoah – holding people captive in the Egypt of bondage and fear.
- The spirit of Goliath – mocking and intimidating the people of God.
- The spirit of Jezebel – bringing sexual perversion and manipulation.
- The spirit of Absalom – dividing families and communities.
- The spirit of Herod – killing the young through abortion, violence and poverty.
But he also said that there is a spirit more powerful than all these spirits combined. The most powerful spirit on the earth today is still the Holy Spirit of Almighty God.
Zechariah 4:6 Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,’says the Lord of hosts.
2 Corinthians 3:17 Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.
Acts 1:8 But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”
He preached that we are about to experience the greatest outpouring of the power and presence of God on the earth – like our generation has never seen before. God is not done with us yet.
- For every pharaoh there’s a Moses
- For every Goliath there’s a David
- For every Nebuchadnezzar there’s a Daniel
- For every Jezebel there’s an Elijah
- For every Herod there’s a Jesus
- For every devil that rises against up you there is a mightier God that will rise up for you.
It’s time to remove the basket. It’s time to shake off whatever life or hell has placed on you.
And whatever you can’t shake off, Jesus washes off.
When life throws you rocks, build an altar.
1 John 2:8 Again, a new commandment I write to you, which thing is true in Him and in you, because the darkness is passing away, and the true light is already shining.
Isaiah 60:1 Arise, shine; for your light has come! And the glory of the Lord is risen upon you.
- Know Where You Stand – Matthew 5:15 Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to allwho are in the house.
Ps Samuel taught that the lamp stand represents the platform we stand on. We stand on the undeniable reality that Christ is the hope of glory. We cannot water down the gospel for the sake of political correctness. We need to pass the legacy down to our children’s and children’s children.
There is only one way to heaven – only one way to be saved delivered and healed. That way has a name – His name is Jesus Christ.
We stand on righteousness and justice:
Psalm 89:14 Righteousness and justice are the foundation of Your throne; Mercy and truth go before Your face.
We stand for love and truth. He who wrote the law with one finger gave us grace with both hands. We stand for those living in darkness the shadow of death:
Luke 1:79 To give light to those who sit in darkness and the shadow of death…
We are to live as children of light.
Ephesians 5:8 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light.
We are not about promoting the perfect but about the blessing the broken.
- Religion says get rid of the darkness and light will shine.
- The grace of Jesus says turn on the light and darkness will flee.
- Man says get rid of hell and heaven will come down.
- God says be filled with heaven and hell will flee.
John 1:5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.
Ps Samuel finished by saying that wherever there was darkness, there will be light in our lives. In our families, homes, marriages, relationships, and health. So let’s start shining like we’ve never shone before! Let’s be light to our generation – because when light stands next to darkness, light always wins!